Aging is a natural process, but free radicals accelerate the rate at which fine lines, wrinkles, brown spots, and loss of elasticity occur. Understanding free radicals and how antioxidants can help will empower you to make proactive decisions. Here is what you need to know to improve your daily skincare routine.
What Are Free Radicals?
Let’s get a bit scientific for a moment. Free radicals are unhealthy molecules, split electron pairs, that damage your skin—increasing the rate at which your skin ages. This process is referred to as oxidization. You can take steps to minimize free radicals in your environment, such as switching to green cleaning products, but there is no way around coming in contact with free radicals. Unfortunately, they are everywhere!
- Cleaning products
- Farming pesticides
- Local pollution
- Cigarette smoke
- UV rays and light
- And more
What Are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants return the missing oxygen to your unhealthy molecules, minimizing the number of split electron pairs. There are a variety of antioxidants, with vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E being some of the most essential for minimizing and repairing the visible signs of aging.
How Can You Increase Your Beauty-Boosting Antioxidants?
Low-quality foods can increase the number of free radicals in your diet. This is one of the many reasons to consume more fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water, and minimize processed sugar.
Since your skin is your body’s largest organ, you must also apply your antioxidants topically. This won’t just heal your skin but will act as a protective barrier.
- Apply an antioxidant-rich serum and cream after you cleanse each morning.
- To minimize free radicals produced by UV rays apply a broad spectrum SPF before leaving for the day and reapply every 4 hours. Yes, you can layer on more than one moisturizer—including one with SPF protection!
- Sleep is when your skin repairs, so after cleansing in the evening apply an antioxidant-rich serum and night cream too. For best results, use a beauty pillowcase as your serum and cream can get absorbed into cotton, bamboo, and natural fibers.
How Do I Know What Serums and Creams To Choose?
In addition to ensuring your AM and PM serums and creams are antioxidant-rich, you must select products that address your individual skincare and beauty needs. Here are a handful of your targeted options from MBK Skincare. As you will see, many of these formulas include Zinc Oxide which delivers natural SPF protection.
- Repair skin that is showing the first signs of aging with the Revitalizing Gel Cream
- Fight premature aging, repair sun damage, and address aging skin needs with Rassoden Cream
- Nourishing Cream is ideal for extremely dry skin, especially in the winter months
- Soothe irritation and help to regenerate damaged skin with Zinc Repair Cream
- For a full range of products for those ages 30 to 40 try Anti-Aging-Lift Line
- For those 50 and older, the Skin Recharge Line is designed to also boost collagen and elastin
With the right products and treatments, you can reverse some damage and slow the visible signs of aging! What are your biggest skin struggles? Share in the conversation and comment below.