It’s not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of your daily skincare routine, but if your skin is either too acidic or too alkaline you won’t be able to achieve your skincare goals. Here’s everything you need to know about restoring your skin’s pH balance.
How To Tell If Your Skin’s pH Balance Is Off?
The ideal pH balance for your skin is around 5.5 on a scale of 0 to 7. If it’s too high or too low, your skin’s natural protective barrier (sebum) is not effectively keeping moisture in and bacteria out. You can test your internal pH with pH test strips, but your internal pH isn’t always a direct indicator of your skin’s pH. You can schedule an appointment with your dermatologist to have your skin tested with a pH meter—but if your pH is off you are likely experiencing a few symptoms.
Alkaline Skin—if your skin is dry and rough instead of smooth and twice-daily moisturizer isn’t improving your skin condition, your pH level may be too high. This increases your risk of eczema, acne, and skin infections.
Acidic Skin—if your skin is excessively oily and oil reappears quickly after you blot, your pH is likely too low. This increases your risk for acne and irritation, and you may age prematurely as your skin is not able to heal and repair.
Balanced Skin—if your skin is soft and smooth with no noticeable dry patches or oily areas your skin is likely balanced.
What Throws Your Skin pH Out Of Balance?
Everyone’s skin is unique, so you must learn what is “normal” for you, which can vary by season. The top contributing factors that leave your skin too acidic or too alkaline include:
- Fluctuating hormones
- Environmental toxins
- Harsh skincare products that strip your skin
- Poor nutrition that leads to internal pH imbalance
- Exposure to sun, humidity, dry weather, or cold weather
How To Naturally Restore Your Skin’s pH Balance?
Thankfully, it’s easy to restore the pH balance of your skin. Just make the changes below to see and feel improvement within 3 weeks or less.
- Switch to skincare products made from naturally derived ingredients. Unless your skin is already inflamed, skincare products should never sting or hurt—they should be designed to heal and repair.
- Use a condition-specific toner morning and evening directly after you cleanse your skin. Never use a toner with alcohol as it will not restore balance and may further strip your skin, instead opt for a gentle lotion toner.
- After you tone your face, follow up with an antioxidant-rich serum and a hydrating moisturizer.
- Exfoliate your face 2 to 3 times per week to help slough away dead skin cells.
- Improve your nutrition, keeping alcohol, sugar, and fried food to a minimum. Eat more whole foods and drink more spring and artisanal water which aid in balancing internal pH.
- As you age, transition to skincare products that boost natural collagen production and consider a daily collagen supplement.
- If your hormones are fluctuating schedule an appointment with your gynecologist to discuss ways to minimize fluctuations.
MBK’s skincare products are made from natural ingredients and our results are backed by scientific research. We have Skincare Lines designed for every season of life as well as products that address individual skincare needs—empowering you to customize your daily routine.