If your skin has lost its youthful glow there are a few easy changes you can make to your skincare routine to return your natural luminosity. The first step is identifying what’s causing your dull skin.
What Causes Dull Skin?
There are a variety of factors that can contribute to dull skin, but the most common is a buildup of dead skin cells. Our skin naturally self-exfoliates, but this process slows down in our 30s. This means you must add self-exfoliation to your weekly skincare routine, as early as your teens and 20s. Even with natural self-exfoliation, between environmental toxins, makeup, sweat, oil, and other skincare products—at-home exfoliation is essential.
Other causes of dull skin include:
- The blood flow to your skin can be minimized if you aren’t drinking enough water or if you are a smoker.
- Dry skin leads to dull skin, meaning you must identify what is drying out your skin.
- If your skincare products are too harsh or your skin has been exposed to extreme heat, cold, or high winds it will dry and dull your skin.
- If you have oily skin, you may choose mattifying makeups to minimize oil. While these formulas are effective, they can make your skin look dull. Switch to a formula with light-reflecting particles that mimic a natural glow.
How To Exfoliate For Glowing Skin?
There are a variety of exfoliation methods to choose from, and you will likely utilize more than one. In addition to washing your face every morning and evening with a gentle cleanser you must also:
- Switch to naturally-derived skincare products, as synthetic products can further dry and dull your skin.
- Tone your skin after you cleanse to restore your skin’s pH balance.
- Apply a nourishing serum and hydrating moisturizer after you cleanse.
- Use a gentle exfoliating cream or mask on your face 2 to 3 times per week.
- Consider at-home or professional microdermabrasion at a local spa.
- Use a loofa or full-body exfoliator 2 to 3 times a week. If you choose a granular product, scrub gently.
What Is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is an advanced method of deep exfoliating that instantly smooths, softens, and rejuvenates your skin. It is also effective for minimizing scarring. Once only available at spas, with The Method Brigitte Kettner microdermabrasion unit you can quickly and easily treat your dull skin at home. You may continue to head to the spa for facials and custom skincare treatments, but with at-home microdermabrasion you can perform maintenance in-between.
Is Microdermabrasion Gentle?
The MBK Skincare team designed our microdermabrasion unit to be gentle enough for sensitive skin. It painlessly vacuums away dead skin cells and impurities, rapidly improving skin texture and tone and restoring your natural glow. It comes with two interchangeable tips to personalize your exfoliation, one for exfoliation and one for scarring. Finally, it’s a cordless and rechargeable multi-purpose beauty tool that increases blood flow and oxygen, stimulating your body’s natural ability to produce collagen.
With the tips above you can rapidly treat your dull skin at home.